Skip to main content

Vis-migging

A work trip to the island of Sanday allowed a few hours of free time whilst I waited for the ferry back to Kirkwall. Thankfully, this opportunity coincided with some warm October sunshine between heavy showers. The Autumn migration of birds continues, so I was hopeful of finally witnessing some of this spectacle for myself.

At the edge of a sandy track by the Little Sea, a couple of finches flew up from a field margin. The view from behind them was of a white rump, which threw me completely. A finch? Really? By the time I raised my bins, they had disappeared again, but were soon relocated further along the verge.

Brambling!



Not such a welcome sight, was this deceased Short-eared Owl, which had at some time in the past become fatally snagged on a barbed wire fence. Gusting winds and barbed wire are an occupational hazard for birdlife in these parts.


As well as the Brambling, this stretch of track offered up Wheatears, Song Thrushes, Robins and three Knots, as well as a smattering of Redwings.


I drove to Stove at the southern end of the island, and spent some time stood staring at a small piece of woodland in an abandoned garden. There was stuff in there, I could hear it, but spotting it was a bit more difficult. Fortunately, patience gave its reward, with Chaffinches, Robins, Reed Buntings, Redwings, Goldcrests and several warblers (likely Willow Warbler of Chiffchaff). And a single, but my first of the year, Yellow-browed Warbler.

The below are either Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler.



Comments