Skip to main content

Nature Notes #1

Evenings this week have been spent watching Celtic Connections 2021, the annual Celtic music festival from Glasgow, which this year is online. As well as the usual traditional offerings, there are plenty of artists from around the world and lots of celtic fusion, warping genres and styles. The web version lacks a little of the atmosphere, obviously, but there are compensations: no travel necessary, no pricey accommodation to rent, no queue for the bar (or the loo), and the dancing is much less self conscious. A big bonus is the opportunity to experience music from all the artists, not just the ones affordable on a long weekend trip to Glasgow. And there's still another week to go. Highlights for me so far have been Lyre and Talisk.

"What's all this got to do with wildlife?" I hear you ponder. Well, recently, I wondered whether this blog needed some music (followers from my previous bloggage will be familiar with the format). However, for Natural Highs and Lows, this would very much have to be 'on message'.

Late last year, I was introduced to the music of Martyn Bennett, a much-missed piper, violinist, composer and producer, who sadly passed away far too early, back in 2005. Many of the fusion bands I listen to now, have been influenced by Martyn's innovations.

A 2003 documentary about Martyn can be viewed here.

And here's a link to a Martyn Bennett remix of a Peter Gabriel song which includes some 'nature notes' 🎵🎵


Comments

  1. Thanks, will check this guy out - what a tragedy that he passed away at just 33! I like the echoes to your previous blog life, you'll be having SOMP on next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not SOMP, I did rather regret giving it that appellation.

      Delete
  2. Yes a 'Holst' of stars I think I might of used that before. Thanks for the comment Graeme..I thought Old Tensey was back for a minute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment