Skip to main content

Totally bored

During a recent calmer and brighter spell of weather, we took a trip to Evie Sands in the hope of seeing a flock of Snow Buntings. These small birds are the epitome of cute and we'd heard reports that there were several dozen of them foraging on the tideline.

Here's a view of the bay from the top of the beach. There were several flocks of waders present, as well as Twite, Pied Wagtail, Rock Pipits and Stonechats.

This male Stonechat was a bit shy, I guess.

The Snow Bunting flock were very mobile, so this was the best photo I managed, a stunning looking male. Shame about the stalk of dead grass!

Wader-wise, there were numerous Turnstones, Ringed Plovers, Redshanks and simply loads of Purple Sandpipers.


 And here's some footage of various Purps...



At one end of the beach, a burn flowed into the bay, and I was delighted to see its interaction with the incoming tide. I have never seen a tidal bore, so although this was only a mini version, I was absolutely chuffed to witness it. In fact, filming it worked a bit too well as you will see.


Unfortunately, whilst filming the flow, I missed the opportunity to get great views of the Snow Bunting flock. But when I was trimming the footage above, I noticed that they flew across the burn. Here's a still of that moment.

Comments

  1. Those are better views than I've got at Evie Graeme, try Brough of Birsay, 10 or so there today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alastair, it was most pleasant just being amongst a throng of foraging birds. Megan managed to take some footage of the Snow Buntings whilst I was mid-flow.

      Delete

Post a Comment