Skip to main content

Cloud nine

After last weekend's shenanigans and a 24 hour work trip that actually spanned 4 days, I was understandably nervous about boarding another ferry. Fortunately, this particular one only plied its trade between Kirkwall and the island of Westray, a journey of a mere 85 minutes. The route was sheltered within the waters of the archipelago, so the crossing was smooth despite the attentions of a brisk westerly breeze.

I was doubly fortunate, in that the satellite dish I had been tasked with replacing was actually at ground level, no ladders necessary, thank you very much. Job completed, the second mission of the day was to try to find a small flock of Glossy Ibises which had been frequenting the island for more than a month (when the first reports came in during December, I did wonder if I would have any work on the island before they disappeared again).

Over the years, I had seen several of these water birds, which are uncommon visitors to the UK, but never in circumstances where photography was an option. Once on a trip to Welney, a wetland reserve in Norfolk, I found myself in a hide where there was a mini twitch of a such a bird. A kindly birder let me use her telescope to see a distant brown blob which was apparently a Glossy Ibis, and that was how I accidentally twitched a lifer. I have even seen one in Orkney before, on a dreich Winter's day, in the pouring rain, as it was feeding on the opposite side of a field. Again, not ideal views or circumstances where a camera would've been handy.

So, hopes were high for a better experience in Westray, although the flock was known to be highly mobile, fragmenting into smaller groups or disappearing for days at a time. The previous day, they had been seen by the Loch of Burness, west of Pierowall, so that was where I headed. Driving down a single track road, my navigator was busy checking her phone for ibis updates and had just announced (without looking up) that reports suggested they were again in a field by the loch. However, by this point, I had already let the van coast to a halt... right by a small flock of nine Glossy Ibises.

Nine! My life total had just increased by 450%!

The flock was busy foraging, constantly moving and probing the ground with their long bills to find invertebrates to eat. I struggled to take crisp photographs of the action, so in the end I resorted to some film footage, which brought the added bonus of an ibis squawk (at the beginning of the below trimmed version).


Although in Winter plumage and on a dull day, the colours were still sumptuous, especially at such close quarters. I could finally understand why the ibises were named Glossy.



There may have been celebratory tea and cake, possibly at the Groatie Buckies Café.

Comments

  1. Amazing that you have lived on Orkney now for several years, have been very active in the wildlife scene - and you are still seeing rare or new birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is likely true of anyone anywhere. It all depends how much we want to see what is really there, rather than through the filter of our human-centric lives. Folk often find species which have not been recorded in Orkney before, mainly plants or invertebrates admittedly, but those are the foundations of Life upon which we stand, so actually very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when you thought your day couldn't get any better poemblog29.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment