Skip to main content

Stronsay revisited

Remember the Ash on the beach from a couple of weeks ago? I was back in Stronsay recently, and took the opportunity to wander the same shore. Either someone's log pile is a bit better stocked, or Stronsay has Beavers! Now, dendrochronology's not my bag, but I think this tree must've been about twenty years old.


I had barely had the little joke to myself about beavers, when I stood up from photographing the tree stump and looked down the length of the beach. About a third of the way along, half a dozen gulls were mooching about near the edge of the tide.

One of these birds was very dark in colour... wasn't exactly the right shape for a gull... was a bit too big for a gull, to be honest... and had a long tail. Wait, what? Is it a beaver?!


Once the creature had disappeared from view, I gleefully set off towards the spot, to see if I could find its tracks leading up the beach.

Bingo!


That was me for the rest of the day, grinning like a loon and occasionally breaking into fits of happy laughter at my good fortune. Jings, what a natural high, someone write a blog!

For balance, I should point out that this walk was between wintry showers and I was wearing umpteen layers, thick gloves and a trapper hat. 


Towards the other end of the beach, there were a few Bar-tailed Godwit feeding in the tideline. As I approached the birds, I gradually headed further up the beach so as not to unduly disturb them. Miraculously, for once this worked, and I was able to take some footage of a couple of godwits bathing in the surf. Another wonderful wildlife moment.


Returning back through the dunes, I belatedly thought to drop back down onto the beach to continue the search for the otter tracks again. Somehow I contrived to miss them, but instead found an older track being infilled by blown sand. This one was headed to the sea, and I surmised that this was probably the otter's earlier sedate amble out to feed. The mark of its dragging tail was quite obvious.


Y'know, I'm not certain that my feet touched the ground for the rest of the day.

Comments

  1. Good work! I should say on a walk you would be able to point out all sorts of things that many people would miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I need to write a post about all the times I don't see anything?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment