Skip to main content

Local mish mash

The Orcadian weather continues to exhibit bi-polar qualities, or at least on some days it is very North Polar. Which just means one has to look harder for some wildlife. For instance, here's a micro moth on a potato leaf in the veg bed. I am reliably informed that this is Ancylis badiana (thanks, NC).

At the weekend it was rather windy. Exhibit A is my neighbour's dressing gown. Exhibits B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V and W are all the clothes pegs he used to keep it on the washing line.


Another moth, of whose ID I can't be sure, possibly one of the numerous species of Arches. It was roosting on a door frame, where I didn't notice it until I opened the door and it fluttered on to a wall.



It is a very characterful door, and proving to be quite the insect magnet, possibly due to a combination of being in a sheltered location, facing the sunrise, and handy for a nectar hit. This next moth is a Common Marbled Carpet.


An early evening walk in the Orphir Hills provided some welcome respite from a day in front of a computer screen. There were orchids aplenty, as well as loads of other wildflowers.

Heath Spotted Orchid

Northern Marsh Orchid

A sadly-deceased Violet Ground Beetle (species Carabus problematicus, thank you LL and BR)


Heath Speedwell

Heath Fragrant Orchid

Heath (?) Milkwort

From the top of one hill, distant landmarks were being picked out by shifting shafts of sunlight.

Barth Head in South Ronaldsay, and Pentland Skerries

Stanger Head in Flotta

That same evening, we were treated to a very different sunset, as lenticular clouds were given a soft, rosy wash by the fading light.

Spectacular pinktacular lenticulars

Comments

  1. Moth is Dark Arches I think. Loved the clothes pegs, I think Mole grips would have been better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're correct with the moth. Funnily enough, we don't have moles in Orkney.

      Delete
  2. It is Dark Arches, yes. Be careful with Ancylis badiana, there's a similar species (A. myrtillana) that can occur, always worth giving them a second look. Yes, I think that's Heath Milkwort, although my botanical skills are embryonic at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alastair, I will do some more homework!

      Delete

Post a Comment