Skip to main content

Heatwave, you say?

Last Tuesday, soaring temperatures south were widely reported on national media. Indeed, even in Orkney, folk were reported to have gone outside without a coat on. I think our forecasted high temperature was 19 degrees C, which is actually quite high for these parts.

I was working in Stronsay, but had time to spare whilst waiting for a return ferry, so hit the beaches and clifftops to take in the glorious weather and wildlife.

Sand Martin

A male Common Blue butterfly

Not found by me, a stunning Garden Tiger Moth

Ragged Robin

One of the Water Crowfoots (Crowsfoot? Crowfeet?)

I think this is Amphibious Bistort

One of the vetches

A Blue-tailed Damselfly, a first official record for the island

A Middle-Barred Minor moth nectaring on some Sea Rocket

At a quarry pool, Swallows were splooshing onto the surface. I don't think this is drinking behaviour, which is more of a skimming action, but I wondered if they were soaking their breast feathers with water to take moisture back to their nests to keep young from overheating.


I have been in Orkney for over eight years and not once have I swam in the sea. Taking my lead from the Swallows, I decided that if I was ever going to do it, the time was probably now. Yes, that's correct, the below image is not a duck, it's me still wearing my cap.

Comments

  1. It was unbearable in Lincoln, 40°/104° looked absolutely superb in Orkney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems churlish to complain, but Summer can't seem to string two or three nice days together without going all Autumn verging on Winter. I'm in Shetland at the moment and it's the same here. Been here four days and haven't seen a single Bonxie, as avian flu has hit them hard.

      Delete
  2. Have you recovered from hypothermia yet lol! I’m very impressed. My 19° how did you cope 😹B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for not seeing this comment, B, as Blogger hid it in the 'published' comments. I was anticipating the hypothermia but, fortunately or not, the warmth from the embarrassment of drying my knickers on the dash of the van was sufficient to restore life 🤣

      Delete
  3. ..."not once have I swum in the sea..." (not swam). Past participle required with "have." As precise as you are with language, I knew you'd want to know. And congrats for finally "swumming" in the C!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment