Skip to main content

Flight season commences at last

Whilst we were over in the East Mainland two weekends ago, failing to find any damselflies, other like-minded folk were abroad in the West, with a couple of reports of Large Red Damselflies being submitted: one from Berriedale in Hoy; and one from the outskirts of Stromness. So finally, a little later than usual (yes, Spring weather, I'm looking at you), the Odonata flight season in Orkney is underway. To put this into some sort of geographical context, I checked the sightings for mainland Scotland up to and including that date... eleven species. That's more species than we actually have in Orkney during the whole Summer.

Fortunately, the odo gods finally smiled upon me last Friday, when I nipped across to Hoy for work. With an hour to wait for the return ferry, I was able to check some pools in the Lyness area. It was overcast and windy, so I began with a large pool which is sheltered by a conifer plantation and a steep slope. The only things I was able to find were a Green-veined White butterfly and a Yellow Dung Fly. And they were on the same flower head.

I then headed uphill to a more exposed location. Water levels were good, there were loads of tiny insects on the wing, but there wasn't a sign of any damselflies. Then I remembered to follow my own advice, "Think like a dragonfly" and "Look for pockets of still vegetation in full sun". Of sunshine, there was nary a jot, but downwind of the pools, across a track, and down a shallow embankment, there was a little calm amidst the turmoil.

And it was here that I found my first Large Red Damselflies of the year. Phew!

Back in Lyness, just around the corner from the ferry terminal, is the Scapa Flow Museum, recently refurbished and in contention for an award but, these days, my interest in wartime ironmongery is limited to the large pond alongside the museum. I don't usually visit it until the middle of the flight season, but hope springs eternal, and I went to stare at the clumps of flag iris leaves in one corner of the pool. The sun even came out!


There were about four Blue-tailed Damselflies in the lea of the vegetation at the water's edge, basking on leaves or rocks, and occasionally interacting with each other, likely territorial males, although there was definitely one female around. And to cap it all off, another Large Red put in a brief appearance. Happy Days!

Comments

  1. Sorry to rub it in but Odes have been in flight in Lincoln for about three weeks. Damsels - Blues and Reds, Dragons - Common Hawkers and Four Spotted Chasers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, first emergence is about 4 weeks later up here than when I lived in Buckinghamshire. Sounds a bit early for Common Hawker... maybe Hairy Dragonfly?

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for trips to Hoy. Pretty shoddy in this corner too with extremely strong winds. Saw my first demoiselle in the leat at the mill today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there's all manner of aquatic invertebrates in the mill leat! ☺

      Delete

Post a Comment