Skip to main content

E-commerce

This past week has seen two island trips, with ferry journeys to Eday and Egilsay. Although these were working days, there were brief moments of wildlife wonder, as my inner naturalist is never really off duty.

Eday was a 13 hour day, and the only non-work photograph I took was this Rabbit on the customer's drive. However, whilst I was toiling away outside, a Wren frequently sang, its accent very distinctly of the island, rather laid back and unhurried. A pair of Hooded Crows were looking after their two fledglings, and every time I stepped out of doors, they let me know that they were distinctly unimpressed at my presence.

A few days later, the Egilsay ferry trip meant calling in at another two islands first, so I had to reverse to the back of the boat whilst everyone else boarded and disembarked in Rousay or Wyre.

The local Library van, Booky McBookface, was visiting Rousay

Rousay stop with the postie picking up the inbound mail and delivering the outbound mail to the boat

Bound for Wyre and Egilsay with only the rubbish truck for company

At lunchtime, halfway through the job but taking a break sat in my car, another island Wren put in an appearance. This one was obviously half of a pair which were busy feeding chicks.

Once the work was completed, with an hour to kill before the boat home, I walked to the east coast of Egilsay and sat a while by the shore, letting the sound of the waves wash away the day's stresses.

A pair of Oystercatchers were annoyed by the intrusion of a third bird, piping their joint disapproval in a co-ordinated display. Eventually, the interloper flew off again and the aggrieved pair immediately fell silent.




And I returned to gazing contemplatively out to sea.



Re-crossing the island back to my car, the air was full of the sounds of the parental worries of Curlews, Redshanks, Oystercatchers and Lapwings, their youngsters presumably hidden amongst the lush vegetation. At times, the island felt like one huge wildflower meadow, and I couldn't resist a shot of some Tufted Vetch, a particular favourite of Megan's.

Comments

  1. Just looking at the ordnance at those islands, they must be almost uninhabited! You have a dream job I bet you're dreading retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so much wildlife to watch, I can't wait for retirement!

      Delete
  2. Wiki says Wyre has a population of 5! Other sites say about 25, maybe the truth's in tge middle but whatver, you must nearly have tbe island to yourself - yet you'recalled out there for work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there are only a few folk in Wyre. The ferry slipway is the furthest I have ever ventured to Wyre, seems like no-one needs my technical services there. I should probably go from a dragonfly point of view as I have never surveyed the island, but finding a good time for dragons, farming, weather and access is actually quite tricky.

      Delete

Post a Comment