Today is the last morning of work before our holiday. This afternoon is pencilled in as "packing". I was up early so that I could drive to Kirkwall for 9am to collect keys for various offices. So here's another dawn photo.
As it was, despite driving slowly to take in the sights of bays full of geese and fields full of Curlew, I was seven minutes early, so I took a wander around the harbour, pretending to be a tourist. The basin is where the Kirkwall lifeboat and one of the Harbour Authority's pilot boats are berthed. At the end of the pier was Pharos, one of the Northern Lighthouse Board's tenders. The house Megan and I live in once belonged to an engineer of the NLB, but I think he served on the sister ship Pole Star. For me, who grew up beside a railway line, the word 'tender' conjures up a picture of the small coal bunker on wheels which trundled along behind a steam locomotive. This ship is a different order of magnitude entirely!
Back home once more, there's just time to dash off a blogpost before setting to with packing. I wonder where we will be when I post tomorrow's offering. Somewhere with WiFi, that's where!




Comments
Post a Comment